[WikiEN-l] Gooooooogle

Minh Nguyen mxn at zoomtown.com
Tue Oct 24 18:10:07 UTC 2006

Steve Block wrote:
> Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
>> I have a couple of persistent problem users on my watchlist at the
>> moment, both of whom persistently obfuscate the titles of articles
>> they created and which have since been deleted, in an attempt to keep
>> their shenanigans off the Google results for the subjects (Ecopave and
>> Patrick Buri for the interested).
>>
>> Is there any merit in requesting a change so that user and project
>> space are excluded from the Google indexing?  What about
>> deleted-protected?
>
> I would support only having article and portal space indexed, not even
> having talk pages indexed.  Is there a way of doing it so it would be
> picked up across mirrors too?  I have no idea of how it's done beyond
> the no robots or something command in the headers.  I have a feeling
> this is a perennial though.
>
> Steve block

Would it be possible to set up a Google Sitemap that gives very low
priority to project-space pages? I often find it useful to search for
project pages at Wikipedia, but the built-in search engine doesn't
support some querying features that Google does, like placing phrases in
quotes.

--
Minh Nguyen <mxn at zoomtown.com>
[[en:User:Mxn]] [[vi:User:Mxn]] [[m:User:Mxn]]