[WikiEN-l] Pattern copyvios involving comic book characters

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Fri Oct 20 09:40:32 UTC 2006

Phil Sandifer wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2006, at 8:40 PM, Bryan Derksen wrote:
>
>> The term "ludicrous overkill" comes to mind. I think you've got
>> another
>> agenda here. :)
>
> Damn straight.
>
> Our articles on fictional characters are cesspools of fancruft,
> original research, and outright idiocy. This should be a clear call
> to the fact that we do not have sufficient control over these
> articles. We need to demonstrate our lack of tolerance with a zeal
> previously known only to BLP.

I want to point out I am in broad agreement with Phil here, but doubt
we'd get the consensus to do it.  That said, there is a consensus
forming along that exact opinion, that it should be done but we'd never
be able to do it.  Although the list of copyright violations on the list
provided were very small, they might be very large in the contributor in
questions edit history.