[WikiEN-l] Before reverting blanking, please read the text

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 11:11:26 UTC 2006

--- "Alphax (Wikipedia email)" <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:

> And the other /other/ take-home message is that if you're going to
> revert someone, and they revert back, discuss it with them! I'm sick and
> tired of finding user accounts with many many contributions which were
> all reverted as "vandalism", and yet there is nothing on their talk page.

Discussing is good practice in most situations, but I think in this type of
instance the onus is on the blanker to provide some reason. If a new user
blanks an article without explanation, the odds are overwhelming that it's
vandalism (or a test, or whatever). Just revert; it's simply not worth the time
to drop a note with such odds. Moreover, it's very likely is that someone with
a genuine reason to blank the article will communicate his reason very shortly
thereafter (did that happen in this case?)

-- Matt