[WikiEN-l] Before reverting blanking, please read the text

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 10:07:14 UTC 2006

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> The Uninvited Co., Inc wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Judy_Genshaft&diff=82245476&oldid=82239003
>>
>> Yes, the University already saw it, and no, they're not happy.
>
> In all fairness, the user that blanked it twice gave no edit summary
> whatsoever and those two blankings were the only edits that user has
> ever done on Wikipedia. The objectionable part of the article is only
> obvious if you read all the way through the text, whereas the signs
> suggesting that the blanking is vandalism are plainly obvious.

In all fairness, the user who performed the blanking was never asked why
they were blanking the article, or told that it wasn't the right thing
to be doing.

> So the other take-home message is that when blanking an article you
> should give some indication of _why_ you're blanking it. Saves trouble
> all around.

And the other /other/ take-home message is that if you're going to
revert someone, and they revert back, discuss it with them! I'm sick and
tired of finding user accounts with many many contributions which were
all reverted as "vandalism", and yet there is nothing on their talk page.