[WikiEN-l] Before reverting blanking, please read the text

Christopher Larberg christopherlarberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 03:38:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 19:33 -0700, The Uninvited Co., Inc wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Judy_Genshaft&diff=82245476&oldid=82239003
>
> Yes, the University already saw it, and no, they're not happy.
>
> This is not an isolated incident and I'm not trying to pick on the admin
> who did it.  It reflects poorly on all of us that we have a culture that
> puts twitch-game vandalism reversion on a lofty pedestal to the point
> where people don't read the edits they're reinstating.
>
> Bots are doing this too.  I've contacted the bot writers and asked them
> to help prevent it but nothing gets done.
>
> Yours in frustration,
>
> The Uninvited Co., Inc.
> (a Delaware corporation)

Pages should not be blanked, as [[WP:BLANK]] states. If someone has a
problem with an article's contents, we have numerous ways to deal with
that, including Office actions if the content is libelous or otherwise
legally problematic.

Blanking a page does no good anyway, since all the previous revisions
are in the history. And anyway, I'd be willing to bet that upwards of
90% of all page blankings are genuine, bad-faith vandalism, so you can't
really blame editors for occasionally making bad reverts.
--
Christopher Larberg <christopherlarberg at gmail.com>