[WikiEN-l] Episode summaries

Parker Peters onmywayoutster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 17:50:36 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, Earle Martin <wikipedia at downlode.org> wrote:

> [de-lurk]
>
> On 17/10/06, Chris Picone <ccool2ax at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I somewhat agree, but take a look at a Family Guy episode summary..
> > any one. See the Cultural References section? All facts listed there
> > are entirely OR!
> >
> > >From "Peter's Got Woods":
> > "When Shauna, Brian's love interest introduces herself, there's
> > heavenly singing of the name 'Shauna' in the background. This parodies
> > a scene from Ferris Beuller's Day Off when Jennifer Grey's character
> > tells Charlie Sheen's character 'It's Jean, but most guys call me
> > Shauna.'"
> > -No source, based entirely on editor's personal knowledge! THese
> > things are all over these summaries!
>
> I'd say nuke anything like that from orbit, along with any
> critic-esque writing that claims to describe the hidden allegorical
> meaning of a film, painting, book, music video/song lyrics, etc.,
> without providing a reference from the director, artist, author or
> other creator of the item in question.
>
> Congratulations, you've nuked half of the television-related articles on
wikipedia.

NOR is fine and good, but pop culture references do help people understand
an episode. Instances would be scenes where (for example) the Simpsons rip a
scene directly from a Quentin Tarantino movie.

Now, when is FOX going to publish a definitive list of pop culture
references? How about never. They've got no interest in doing so. I know of
few websites that do so either, especially when the show is less popular
than Simpsons or Seinfeld-level popularity.

But to "nuke it from orbit"? Ouch. As for a source, see if one can be found,
and if necessary just use the two sources side by side as your reference.

Deletionist.