[WikiEN-l] Semi-Protecting User Talk Pages

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 20:08:05 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just gone and removed semi-protections from about a dozen user
> talk pages. All of them were targets of vandalism in the past,
> generally due to their own anti-vandalism efforts. The pages included
> pages of administrators.
>
> For obvious reasons, anyone who is warning and blocking new users in
> turn needs to be able to be contacted by these users with questions,
> concerns, etc. Semi-protection must not be used in this fashion, and
> I've removed the line supporting it from the semi-protection policy.

While I do agree with the general principle, I think there are
certainly times where semi-protecting a talk page is warranted. If a
useris being harrassed by a persistant sock-puppeteer for instance.

Second, if a person recieves so much vandalism on his talk page that
it's beginning to be a problem, I think semi-protecting it for a while
is a good idea, atleast so that the user isn't driven away by all of
the abuse he receives. That has a tendancy to happen with
vandal-fighters.

--Oskar