[WikiEN-l] RFA has gone weird

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 11 08:47:21 UTC 2006

"George Herbert" wrote
> Can you remind us how active/inactive membership is counted, and what the
> effects on a voting plurality are depending on how many people are actually
> responsive out of the total?

There are rules. I'm the ranking mathematician on the AC, which probably explains why I can't remember them.

> How bad is it for moving forwards if arbcom members are functionally
> inactive?  Is it then just an issue of bandwidth, or do you have to spur
> some of the inactive ones to participate to get proposed decisions voted out
> and official?

There are naggers and naggees. It comes down to saying that with fewer bodies, cases are decided more slowly, and with a smaller subset of approaches.

The preparation of cases is the worst part, undoubtedly, and requires experience (more than I have). The list of 'principles' is ever-expanding, but we still need more, and some cases are marathons.

Charles