[WikiEN-l] Quitting Wikipedia and wanted you to know why.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 07:10:57 UTC 2006

On 06/10/06, Parker Peters <onmywayoutster at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I'm quitting. It's sad to say, I know, and even sadder that due to my
> reasons for quitting, I can't trust leaving a goodbye message on my user
> page or mailing from my normal account. But for the things I am about to
> say, I know that several admins and possibly those higher up in the project
> would ban me just for saying it. I know this message may never reach this
> list either, but I'm at least going to try. I'm doing it this way because
> someday, I might want to come back, and I'd like to be able to come back
> under the same username I left.

Being banned for speaking out? I know of no cases. The claim was most
frequently heard from the hydra commonly tagged "Enviroknnot", but he
was banned for being a pathological fuckwit and for assuming no-one
could possibly work out it was him every time just by looking at the
way he always came back making the same edits to the same bunch of
articles.

> I saw a thread earlier today which I thought was monstrous - a user whose
> talk page was locked for "unblock template abuse", whose only crime or
> "abuse" of the template was removing the template after the blocking admin
> consistently and maliciously removed it. This thread was stopped by the
> assertion of David Gerard that the person who started the thread was
> "Enviroknot." I don't give a damn who started the thread, if the question is
> valid, the question is valid. I looked at the user in question, and I see
> plenty of problems with the way it was handled, and at least two admins who
> deserve at the least a stern censure and at the most, de-adminning for
> abusive behavior. We NEED users to bring these problems up. We NEED to cull
> the herd of abusive administrators.

We have the Arbitration Committee for that. If you don't say anything,
they don't know.

> WE, the admins of wikipedia, broke it. We broke it by being stuck-up jerks.
> We broke it by thinking we are better than normal editors, by getting full
> of ourselves.

If you are an admin then I am a notorious troll living in Houston.

- d.