[WikiEN-l] To: Jimmy Wales - Admin-driven death of Wikipedia

Nick Boalch n.g.boalch at durham.ac.uk
Wed May 31 10:47:11 UTC 2006

Fred Bauder wrote:
>> We're here to build an encyclopaedia, not a community. Usually the
>> interests of the encyclopaedia and those of the community go hand in
>> hand. Where they don't, the encyclopaedia comes first. Always and
>> without exception.
>
> It will be a lot easier for a community to build an encyclopedia.

It will. You'll note I don't say 'there should be no community'. I say
that where the interests of the community conflict with those of the
encyclopaedia, the encyclopaedia comes first. This should be
self-evident and non-controversial.

Cheers,

N.

--
Nicholas Boalch
School of Modern Languages & Cultures       Tel: +44 (0) 191 334 3456