[WikiEN-l] To: Jimmy Wales - Admin-driven death of Wikipedia

Ben Yates bluephonic at gmail.com
Wed May 31 04:28:37 UTC 2006

> Trolls complain about ArbCom being 'corrupt' because, rightly if they're
> trolls, they don't get the results they want from it.

That strikes me as a dangerous line of thought -- "Trolls, by
definition, are always wrong.  And the people who disagree with us
must be trolls, because trolls are who we're fighting.  Therefore
anyone who disagrees with us is wrong."  I'm not saying you've taken
it to that extreme; more, I'm objecting to widening use of words like
"troll" (and "meatpuppet") -- they make it too easy to class all
opposing arguments as nonsense and all opposing people as not worth
the time of day.

--
Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com