[WikiEN-l] Aww, so cute, a banned user is trying to take us down with a DMCA notice

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Tue May 30 12:52:51 UTC 2006

Will,

   he's not trying to take Wikipedia down at all.

Here's what happened:

1) Patrick wrote a bunch of articles on mathematics and computer
    science-related topics.  They were quite good, really.

2) One of them was full of original research.  It was taken to AfD, and
    mocked.

3) He wasn't very happy about this (gosh, I wonder why?), and declared
    that we couldn't use a couple of *other* of his articles.  He tried
    blanking the articles, but was reverted by Tawkerbot.  So then he hit
    on the idea of a DMCA takedown notice to force us to remove his
    contributions from our records.

Okay, not the nicest thing or the smartest thing that he could have
done.  But this is a case of a user we did wrong by, who over-reacted.
This is generally considered something to be regretted, not an
opportunity for humour.

He's sincere, and hurt, and there's no call to go making fun of him
here, and especially not to republish his full personal details,
including home address.

Please, just *think* a little before you post!

<forwarded message snipped/>

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"