[WikiEN-l] To: Jimmy Wales - Admin-driven death of Wikipedia

Nick Boalch n.g.boalch at durham.ac.uk
Tue May 30 10:04:00 UTC 2006

Molu wrote:
> As you raise the userbox issue, if an admin is doing something that the
> majority of the community does not support then he's doing the wrong thing.

This is simply not the case. If an admin is acting in the interests of
the encyclopaedia then he is doing the right thing, regardless of what
the majority of the community thinks.

We're here to build an encyclopaedia, not a community. Usually the
interests of the encyclopaedia and those of the community go hand in
hand. Where they don't, the encyclopaedia comes first. Always and
without exception.

> There should be a mechanism to impeach admins without going through ArbCom.
> Apart from increasing accountability, the next time trolls complain about
> admin abuse and corrupt ArbCom we can just point to the mechanism and say what
> are you waiting for? If there is some support in this list I may go ahead and
> start a proposal. What do you think?

[[:m:Instruction creep]]. Such a mechanism would be totally unnecessary.

Trolls complain about ArbCom being 'corrupt' because, rightly if they're
trolls, they don't get the results they want from it.

Cheers,

N.

--
Nicholas Boalch
School of Modern Languages & Cultures       Tel: +44 (0) 191 334 3456