[WikiEN-l] To: Jimmy Wales - Admin-driven death of Wikipedia

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon May 29 14:22:33 UTC 2006

"Conrad Dunkerson" wrote

> The fact is that we have high standards of civility (which IMO includes
> avoidance of personal attacks, respect for consensus, consistent
> treatment, et cetera) for users - placing blocks when a line is crossed...
> even higher standards for becoming an admin... and very very low standards
> once you HAVE become an admin. There are admins who are routinely incivil,
> make personal attacks on a regular basis, and thumb their noses at
> consensus... and that IS damaging Wikipedia.

That is technically untrue, since every syllable of policy on civility
applies to admins; and morally has even greater force.  There is not the
slightest reason to lapse in _civilty_ while talking and acting tough.  In
fact it undermines the impression.  Any admin who is 'routinely incivil' can
expect little support.

Charles