[WikiEN-l] Proposal: limited extension of semi-protection policy

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue May 23 21:02:14 UTC 2006

On 23/05/06, David Boothroyd <david at election.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> "Steve Bennett" <stevagewp at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >Do we perhaps also need to create the subcategory [[Category:Living persons
> >liable to sue]]?
>
> Unfortunately in English law it is potentially actionable to call
> someone litigious.

To be fair, in English law it's potentially actionable to sneeze, if
you pick the wrong moment.

(Past - now obsolete - court precedents have held that it is libellous
to say that a man was a Catholic and attended mass, or that he was
German, though more recent precedents have held that it is not de
facto libellous to state that he shared a bed with another man.
Imputing unchastity in a woman might still trip you up, though)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk