[WikiEN-l] blocked for a week for these edits

Sue Anne Reed sreed1234 at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 07:42:29 UTC 2006

Philip Welch wrote:
> On May 22, 2006, at 11:29 AM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> For someone like our Abu Hamza (who at first appearance seems to have
>> indeed engaged in unacceptable editing) it would help if we had
>> mentors
>> available who are sympathetic but rationale in dealing with such
>> points
>> of view.  Perhaps they could pull aside and counsel these wilder
>> newbies
>> in techniques for constructively presenting their opinions.
>
> So you're willing to have Islamists, white supremacists, etc. openly
> editing Wikipedia as long as they attempt to follow NPOV? I don't. I
> think the presence of such individuals is harmful to the community.

If a white supremacist is editing an article not related to race, I
don't see any problem with them editing Wikipedia. If that person were
editing an article on racial relations in the U.S. or another country, I
would be highly suspect of anything they would add to that article.

We all have biases. Some users choose to wear those biases on their
sleeves (i.e., user boxes on their user page). Others tend not to openly
share those biases. I actually would prefer to know someone's biases and
be overly cautious of any of their edits vs. have someone push POV and
be unaware.

Sue Anne