[WikiEN-l] Getting rid of bad fair use

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue May 23 04:06:11 UTC 2006

Keith Old wrote:

>On 5/23/06, Philip Welch <wikipedia at philwelch.net> wrote:
>

>>Well, I guess that's that then. No images of Han Solo. (But images of
>>Harrison Ford are okay for [[Harrison Ford]]?)
>>

>Hi all,
>
>Has anyone ever tried contacting Lucasfilm and seeing what they will allow
>us to use?
>
>After all, we are a top 20 website and we probably have the most Star Wars
>related articles of any big site on the web. We are a non-profit
>organisation and we don't provide material that directly competes with them.
>
>If they told us what they are happy with and what they are not happy with
>us, it would make life a whole lot easier for all concerned. Perhaps we
>should look at identifying the rights holders for much of the so-called fair
>use material we have and try contacting them.

It's not in their best interests to answer such letters.  That avoids
getting caught by any conceivable trick question, ogetting tangled in
legal loose ends..  If they say "yes" they establish a precedent that
could be followed by others.  If they say "no" there's a risk of bad
publicity.  To the extent that your use of the pictures is free
advertising of their movie, they aren't likely to complain about you
using it.

Ec