[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Arwel Parry arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk
Tue May 23 01:04:22 UTC 2006

In message <4472196E.6080405 at telus.net>, Ray Saintonge
<saintonge-EynCeXvFgoheoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> writes
>Arwel Parry wrote:
>
>>I think we need to apply a modicum of common sense when handling
>>copyrights, particularly when determining who is the actual copyright
>>holder is inherently indeterminable.
>>
>>For example, if I had sufficiently bad taste as to upload the primary
>>school portrait of me at age 7, taken in 1966, I would consider it
>>reasonable for the subject, me, to release the photo under GFDL, or PD
>>or whatever, as:
>>- I have absolutely no idea who took photographs of primary school
>>children in Denbighshire, Wales forty years ago,
>>- my parents paid good money for that photo (possibly as much as a
>>shilling or two),
>>
>This could make it a work for hire.  A licence from your parents may be
>required. :-)

Err, no, if I recall correctly it was a speculative job - all the kids
in school had their photos taken, then some days later a strip of three
photos each about 6x4" turned up and the kids took them home. If the
parents liked them (or were sufficiently nagged...) then they'd cut off
as many copies as they wanted and sent the rest back to school with the
money. In any case, it's a bit difficult to get a licence from beyond
the grave, so I suppose I inherited half the copyrights anyway in that
case (and I'm not bugging my brother for the other half!).  :)

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/