[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Mon May 22 22:42:04 UTC 2006

> Arwel Parry wrote:
>
> >I think we need to apply a modicum of common sense when handling
> >copyrights, particularly when determining who is the actual copyright
> >holder is inherently indeterminable.
> >
> >For example, if I had sufficiently bad taste as to upload the primary
> >school portrait of me at age 7, taken in 1966, I would consider it
> >reasonable for the subject, me, to release the photo under GFDL, or PD
> >or whatever, as:
> >- I have absolutely no idea who took photographs of primary school
> >children in Denbighshire, Wales forty years ago,
> >- my parents paid good money for that photo (possibly as much as a
> >shilling or two),
> >
> This could make it a work for hire.  A licence from your parents may be
> required. :-)

Depends.  When did they implement the "everything is copyrighted" law
in Wales?  If it was after 1966, then your parents were paying for the
*service* of having the photo taken, and the image itself was never
copyrighted.  (Of course, now we'd get into the mess of "unpublished
works" and "date and place of first publication"...)

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]