[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon May 22 20:59:35 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:

>On 5/21/06, Peter Mackay <peter.mackay at bigpond.com> wrote:
>

>>>If it's so unremarkable and so uncreative, isn't the whole
>>>question of copyright totally moot?
>>>

>>Hardly. We put a lot of effort into monitoring the license status of
>>photographs in WP. It doesn't matter if the photographs themselves are
>>good
>>or bad, exciting or boring.
>>

>I think it does matter what the chances of the copyright violatee making a
>complaint are. I could be wrong on this. But if we are to focus our efforts
>anywhere, surely they should be areas where there actually is a potential
>complainant.

This is a more important question.  You cannot legally make a formal
complaint without standing.

Copyright is an economic right and a property right.  If no-one exists
who has standing to claim a copyright that copyright may have become a
nullity.  This is the crux of the problem with orphan copyrights.  This
also explains the absence of legal precedent on this point; nobody is
available to be plaintiff.

Ec