[WikiEN-l] blocked for a week for these edits

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon May 22 21:54:46 UTC 2006

On 5/22/06, Philip Welch <wikipedia at philwelch.net> wrote:

> That's a reasonable thing to say about communists, anarchists,
> radical feminists, furries, polyamorous transsexuals, anarcho-
> capitalists, or almost any fringe group. The difference with anti-
> Semites is that we have Jewish editors. If there were people on
> Wikipedia who happened to be white supremacists or Islamists and you
> had no way to tell they were either of these things from their edits,
> that would be one thing. If you make your anti-semitism known,
> however, I don't see why you should be welcome on Wikipedia. The very
> act of accepting these types into the community would be an insult.

It's a pity we're using the example of anti-Semitism. Maybe we could keep
this more abstract? Say I'm a rabid anti-Pokemonite (not far from the truth
:)). Does the existence of Pokemon fans on Wikipedia make me unwelcome? Nah,
I just keep my distance.

You might find similarities in the fact that we have both sides of various
ethnic conflicts, in Yugoslavia or Israel and whatever. We also have
anti-abortionists and pro-abortionists. Do they bicker? Yep. Does the very
fabric of Wikipedia fall apart? Nah.

Steve