[WikiEN-l] Speedy deletions

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Sun May 21 03:26:48 UTC 2006

On 5/21/06, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not really.  For some reason fair use deletion are pretty
> controversial and I doubt very much whether we'd delete many of them
> if we relied on straw polls.  So we have a speedy for them because,
> basically, there are a lot of people on Wikipedia who are willing to
> pack a straw poll but not willing to do the thinking necessary to make
> a reasonable decision.

Not to mention that there's simply a huge number of image uploads per
day. "Speedy" deletion is exactly that, speedy, and in the case of
images it allows us to make qualified judgment calls within a
reasonable timeframe. I would even argue that in the case of images,
we could be a bit less conservative about deleting than we are now.
For instance, on Commons, images are often flagged to be deleted "7
days from now unless a source is provided". Most of those should be
speedy deleted with a brief note to the uploader.

Perhaps we need a middle ground between "speedy" admin actions and
full community review, such as a quorum by n admins.

Erik