[WikiEN-l] Speedy deletions

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Sun May 21 02:42:40 UTC 2006

On 5/21/06, SCZenz <sczenz at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is fundamendal to WP:CSD that the reason for
> deletion be totally uncontroversial, as the process is almost entirely
> without review.

Not really.  For some reason fair use deletion are pretty
controversial and I doubt very much whether we'd delete many of them
if we relied on straw polls.  So we have a speedy for them because,
basically, there are a lot of people on Wikipedia who are willing to
pack a straw poll but not willing to do the thinking necessary to make
a reasonable decision.

> I have encountered many speedy-tagged articles that, upon a careful look,
> were either good articles or worthy of further consideration (e.g. through
> PROD).  It is incumbent on administrators who do speedy deletions to take
> such careful looks at every article; there are enough of us to take the time
> to do it right.  It would also be helpful if those tagging pages would take
> some care in what they tag, although I do understand that new pages patrol
> (for example) is a thankless and rushed job which is very important.

Absolutely.  What we *mustn't* do is delete good articles.  Crappy
articles we can live without and we should be happily deleting them.