[WikiEN-l] 911

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.com
Sat May 20 16:18:28 UTC 2006

Prasad J stated for the record:

> Quote from Philip's last message:
>
> "So he publicly identifies with a notorious Islamist and anti-Semite.
>
>>3,000 people in my country were murdered five years ago in the name
>>of those attitudes. He should be banned indefinitely just as we would
>>ban a neo-Nazi who made similar anti-Semitic edits. These people do
>>not belong in our community."
>

> 1)"Notorious Islamist"-are you implying that Islamists (as in
> Muslims)are notorious?

If all Islamists (which is not the same as Muslim) were notorious, there
wouldn't be any point in adding that word, would there?  Abu Hamza is a
notorious Islamist, in contrast to all the merely vile Islamists.

But you knew that.

> 2) 3000 people died on 9/11. Sorry about that. But scores of my
> countrymen in Kashmir are murdered on a daily basis by fundamentalists
> in that state. Do you see me condemning Abu because of that? He can
> symathise with whoever he wants- he has a right to do that, provided
> he does not vandalise Wikipedia.

He does not have the right to use an offensive user name on Wikipedia,
regardless of where he claim it is his real name or not.

But you knew that.

> 3) "People like
> you aren't welcome in civil society, and you know it, so you try to
> hide behind excuses and rationalizations and straw men. It's not
> going to work."
> It is not upto you Philip, to unilaterally pass judgement on who
> belongs in civil society.
>
> I suggest you calm down and be more civil toward Abu. Treating him
> with disdain based on his religion or his beliefs (though these might
> not be acceptable to you) will only make you seem like a bigoted
> Islamophobe-which I am sure you are not.

I suggest you quit telling administrators who know policy far better
than you how to enforce policy.  Your strawman attacks, claiming bigotry
where none exists, will not get you what you want.

Except that what trolls want is attention, so perhaps I'm wrong.

- --
 Sean Barrett     | A thunder of jets in an open sky,
 sean at epoptic.com | A streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi!"