[WikiEN-l] Proposal: limited extension of semi-protection policy

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Sat May 20 04:16:14 UTC 2006

> Semi-protection seems to be a great success in many cases.  I think that
> it should be extended, but carefully, in a couple of key ways.
>
> 1.  It seems that some very high profile articles like [[George W.
> Bush]] are destined to be semi-protected all the time or nearly all the
> time.  I support continued occassional experimention by anyone who wants
> to take the responsibility of guarding it, but it seems likely to me
> that we will keep such articles semi-protected almost continuously.

Well, I'm not sure if it will still be necessary after Mr. Bush leaves
office. I think the semi-protection status should be re-evaluated by
2008 or 2009. The template explaining the status can go on the talk
page in the meantime.

I can think of no case where we'll need semi-protection _permanently_.
Just for a very long time, which can mean several years in extreme
cases -- pending better technical solutions, of course.

Erik