[WikiEN-l] Artists' impressions

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu May 18 12:24:48 UTC 2006

On 18/05/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Silly question - are "artists' impressions" (pictures attempting to
> illustrate a subject in the absence of definitive information) allowed in
> Wikipedia? There are topics where we will never have a free image. Could we
> envisage letting editors draw an image, stating clearly that it's simply an
> "artist's impression"? Would it violate WP:OR?

We have plenty of diagrams of things where it's inappropriate,
impossible or ineffective to have a photograph - many of our
engineering articles, for example, have drawn diagrams of machinery
rather than photographs which don't actually show much.

In some circumstances ([[F-19]]!) an "artists impression" might be OR,
but in general terms sketching something is no more OR than touching
up a photo of it.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk