[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat May 13 20:00:39 UTC 2006

On 5/13/06, Prasad J <prasad59 at gmail.com> wrote:
> And I know about VoA-it's, quite frankly, just a propaganda tool.

I think it's more than that, but I'm not saying I agree with
everything the VoA does.

> If you think the U.S is trying to get Iranians to
> access blocked sites in the interest of "liberating" them, then you
> are mistaken. America most likely just wants the Iranian people to
> hear Mr.Bush talk about why "rogue states" like theirs should not
> possess "nucular technology".

"America" is not a single entity.  The Voice of America tends to be at
least somewhat independent from Bush and the top level government
executives.  The fact that they contracted with Anonymizer, Inc. only
serves to enhance that independence for this particular action.

> As I said, allowing Chinese users to break the law, is abbetment.

And I've agreed with this.

> And it's not the kind of abettment that's justified-the condition in China
> is very much liveable-they are not under some Nazi-like fascist regime.

I don't believe that conditions have to be unliveable in order to
justify facilitation of civil disobedience.

> Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the FBI recently admit to tapping phones
> of citizens without legal consent?

I believe they did.

> If that was justified then so is the Chinese governments' policy.

I don't believe it was justified, of course.

Anthony