[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

Prasad J prasad59 at gmail.com
Sat May 13 14:51:33 UTC 2006

Although I agree with you guys that these censorship laws are unfair,
I do believe that there are other organizations (like the U.N or the
International Human Rights Commission) to deal with (what we consider)
oppression. However not even the U.N has the authority to prevent
people from being prosecuted for breaking laws which were legislated
upon by elected Governments-in this case the Chinese Government.Again,
let us note an important point-the present Government of China is an
elected one, it is not a military junta or a dictatorship so it will
be rather difficult for us to actually prove that they are suppressing
the Chinese in the manner in which (for example) the North Korean
Government oppresses its people.The Chinese government is receiving
some flak from the international community as a result of these
policies, however as the Chinese Government has pointed out-these are
their internal affairs. Having said this, I do stand by my earlier
statement that to aid Chinese citizens in their efforts to break the
law of their land (even if the said law is unjust) is tantamount to
abetting a crime.

PS,Rob:I'm from India, not the U.S so I'm not sure about how the
American Government handles privacy issues.