[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

Rob gamaliel8 at gmail.com
Sat May 13 14:29:27 UTC 2006

On 5/13/06, Prasad J <prasad59 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually I believe it was you who brought this up on the mailing list
> Anthony,although I do agree that this is not a matter which is within
> the scope of this list. I must however mention here that you claim the
> Chinese citizens are being *oppressed* by their Governemnt. I,
> personally, also feel the same way, but then let us not forget that
> these policies are put in place by an elected Government-perhaps for
> legitimate reasons- and the said laws are a part of China's internal
> affairs. So for us to pass judgement on this matter would not be
> entirely fair-since we are both citizens of other countries.

Were the US government to put into place certain policies "protecting" its
citizens from certain information on the Internet, no doubt you'd start
complaining about jackbooted thugs and the like.  I don't particularly care
what you think about the US government, but I don't think the Chinese
government should escape similar condemnation because of an accident of
geography.