[WikiEN-l] BBC radio refer listeners to the wikipedia entry on the doosra

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Fri May 12 11:39:13 UTC 2006

On 5/12/06, Steve Block <steve.block at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Aggers has just referred those listeners who wish to know what a doosra
> is to the wikipedia entry.  He read out the web address in that BBC
> cricket commentary way, h-t-t-p and so on, which led Giles to comment

Yes, I wish the developers of the web had gone to more trouble to make
http:// invisible to users, and to discourage the use of www. etc. And
I'm also amazed how many companies seem unaware that the www. on the
front of their names is redundant. Their advertising would be snappier
with just "tcl.fr" rather than "www.tcl.fr" for instance.

> that it was an awful lot of troub;le, but there you go.  James sent the
> suggestion in, I'm not sure if that's one of our James' or not, but
> there it is.  A wikipedia mention on Test Match Special, Five Live
> Sports Xtra, about 12:17 pm BST.  If there's somewhere where we keep
> track of such mentions, someone might want to note it.

The talk page for the article is usually the place, though personally
I find such mentions a bit tacky.

Steve