[WikiEN-l] Are these userbox templates NPOV?

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu May 11 16:13:26 UTC 2006

G'day Prasad,

> I checked out WP:DRVU and I found that the following userbox templates
> had been deleted:{{User Unamerican}}, {{User independent Iraq}},
> {{User USA police state}}, {{User Communist}}. Now after checking some
> of the comments on the discussion about {{User Unamerican}},it seems
> if a user is {{User Americafan}}-i.e supports America he does not have
> a POV, however if he does NOT support America he has a POV. Now
> whether a point-of-view is good or bad isn't it (logically speaking)
> still a point-of-view? It's small things like this that (despite there
> being numerous fair American Wikipedians) make it seem as if Wikipedia
> is biased toward the U.S.

Users are allowed a POV, they aren't allowed to express one in articles.

"Divisive or inflammatory" userboxen are being deleted every day; it's
easier to make the case that "I hate X" is divise or inflammatory than
it is to make the same case against "I love X".  That's the reason for
the perceived bias.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"