[WikiEN-l] We need a policy against vote-stacking

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Tue May 9 10:25:16 UTC 2006

Kirill Lokshin wrote:
> On 5/9/06, Steve Block <steve.block at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> The only thing that isn't undoable as an admin is image deletion.  The
>> rest has become pretty much fixable.  Yes there are wheel warring
>> dangers and the like, but once you take an eventualist approach, it all
>> settles down a lot.
>
> Err, not quite.  There are a number of other things that are
> "undoable" -- in the sense that once an admin does them, they can't be
> directly reversed -- leaking deleted revisions chief among them.
> Whether this is a real problem is up for debate, of course; but it's
> worth pointing out that the question of admin trust is a bit more
> complicated than merely "will he go on an image deletion spree?"

I think that's a separate issue to the point I was making, but again, my
broader point still remains, that people shouldn't have any arbitrary
rules as to what constitutes trust.  They should check a nominees
history and block logs, and make a decision based on that and the
discussion that ensues.  If someone pops up and states that foo has
started edit wars left right and centre, that's more important than that
x has concentrated his edits in the template space.

Nothing is going to tell you whether an admin is going to leak edits
from a revision history, and to my mind that problem is solved my
removing such stuff as the board don't want leaked from the revision
history, something I believe stewards can do.  Sure, there'll be uproar
from the Wikipedia is not censored crowd, but I think there would be a
consensus that Wikipedia is subject to the laws of its physical location
trumps that.

I was never seeking to equate admin trust with the question of whether
someone will go on an image deletion spree, there are some people I
fancy should be admins who probably would do just that.  The issue
should be one of trust, something I don't see as being determined by any
arbitrary standards, but by judging the user's contributions.

Steve block