[WikiEN-l] We need a policy against vote-stacking

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Fri May 5 07:38:20 UTC 2006

On 05/05/06, Sigvat Stensholt <sigvats at mi.uib.no> wrote:
> a) Most people will abandon "nn, delete" reasoning and seriously consider good
> arguments for inclusion if someone throws a strong argument into the debate.

What if the keep argument is made at the end of the voting period?
It's obviously the great weakness of AfD that discussion and voting
happens simultaneously - votes can take place in ignorance of
intelligent arguments subsequently made.

> b) We have a number of inclusionists on AFD who more or less reject the notion
> of notability anyway and will vote to keep articles on all roads, streets,
> schools and churches.

I think it would be in the project's interest if we could define a set
of exceptions to "notability" on the basis that comprehensiveness in
certain areas is more valuable. Most people would probably agree that
every university in the world should have an article. However by
definition, once you include "every" anything, you include "non
notable" examples.

In other words, I don't think every subject should have to be notable,
if it has another reason for being included.

> c) Most people are loathe to delete well-written articles, even if the
> notability is dubious.

That's a major problem. Perhaps if we change the emphasis from
"deleting it", with its connotations of purging it from the surface of
the earth, to "moving it out of Wikipedia"?

Steve