[WikiEN-l] Verifiability equating to notability

Keith Old keithold at gmail.com
Thu May 4 04:08:58 UTC 2006

On 5/4/06, Gallagher Mark George <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au>
wrote:

> G'day Steve,
>
> > On 03/05/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > > As for "an article with no claim to notability", I actually have no
> > > idea what that phrase means.
> >
> > An article has to establish the notability of its subject. If it
> > doesn't do that, it's subject to speedy deletion.
> >
> > ...I recite.
>
> No, it has to *assert* the notability of its subject.  When clearing up
> CAT:CSD I see a lot of speedy taggings where the tagger simply figured
> "sure, there's an assertion of notability there, but I don't think it's good
> enough".  Wrong.
>
> The question of whether an article establishes notability is not one that
> can, or should, be answered by a single admin working very very fast to
> delete as much stuff as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately there are a few
> admins who seem to think "well, it's tagged for speedy, who am I to
> judge?  That would be elitist."  Oh, and let's not forget the non-admin
> CVUers who encourage that view ...
>
> <snip/>
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> MarkGallagher

Mark,

You are 100% correct. While working as an Admin on speedy deletion, I often
come across articles which contain assertions of notability.

In such cases, I do some quick research on verifiable sources:

a) if there are assertions of notability which are not immediately available
I substitute a prod notice for a CSD nomination and make a note on the talk
page so people have five days to find sources and add them;

b) if I can find verifiable evidence to assert notability, I remove the CSD
tag and add something to the talk page - for example, a New York artist was
speedied yesterday and with quick research, I discovered a New York Times
review of an exhibition by the artist and added it to the article.

I also check the what links here even for articles where there is no
assertion of notability. If there is a link, I normally rewrite the article
to refer to the person linked to. I have created stubs on a Minnesota state
politician, a US Olympic swimmer and a New Zealand cricketer amongst others.

It means that fewer articles are deleted but we add information on more
notable topics and help to create an encyclopedia. I try to follow the
precept of "If in doubt, don't delete".

Regards

*Keith Old*
User:Capitalistroadster