[WikiEN-l] Verifiability equating to notability

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Wed May 3 11:48:43 UTC 2006

On 3 May 2006, at 12:38, Anthony DiPierro wrote:

> That would be incredible, but somehow I doubt there are that many
> dedicated Wikipedians that it's going to happen.
>
> Anyway, I look forward to the day when I can use Wikipedia to find out
> about the local coffee shops and Linux User Groups and radio stations
> and indie artists.  If that means I have to stop myself from clicking
> on a link to [[Harrisburg Street, St. Petersburg]] and reading about
> the width of the sidewalks, it's well worth it.

The problem I have with all this stuff is the people who dont understand
that an encyclopaedia is a historic record, and that just try to write
this stuff about what things are now. Unless people are prepared to
write from a historical perspective it is a guidebook not an
encyclopaedia.

So a history of the Linux User Groups on your street, referenced with
the
CVS checkin histories from the street's IP addresses, yes; "There is
a Linux
User group in my street" or "this street is mostly inhabited by students
and my friends and has a coffee shop on the crossroadds" is just
cruft in
the most derogatory sense, and should be deleted, or transwikied to a
guidebook.

Justinc