[WikiEN-l] NPOV majorities/minorities

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed May 3 02:41:53 UTC 2006

G'day Fred,

> Sometimes the quality of the sources may differ substantially with
> one source representing scholarly opinion, the other reflecting
> popular culture.

Or, surprisingly commonly, the other reflects not popular culture but
the view of an idiot who should be locked up for his own protection.

See: Eurasian Land Bridge, Anti-metrication, Gatekeeper (politics), and,
well, too many to mention, I guess.  I think you could probably pick any
POV, however, absurd, and find that there's a batshit conspiracy
theorist who holds it.  Further, that conspiracy theorist will either
edit or inspire another loony to edit Wikipedia to push that POV sooner
or later.  We're too damn big.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"