[WikiEN-l] Cruft

Nick Boalch n.g.boalch at durham.ac.uk
Tue May 2 15:52:48 UTC 2006

Joe Anderson wrote:
> I've recently received messages on my talk page calling me a 'hypocrite' as
> I nominated something for deletion under the grounds of listcruft.
>
> Basically, I campaign for civility around the Wikipedia and by calling
> something -cruft I'm apparently uncivil.

Personally I have come to strongly dislike the use of the word 'cruft'
on Wikipedia, particularly in AFD debates, because for most of the
people that use it it seems to mean essentially 'I'm not interested in
this topic, therefore it shouldn't be in the encyclopaedia' (or, the
more extreme cases, 'I don't know anything about this topic, therefore
I've jumped to the conclusion that it's non-notable').

Either way it's unhelpful.

Best wishes,

N.

--
Nicholas Boalch
School of Modern Languages & Cultures       Tel: +44 (0) 191 334 3456