[WikiEN-l] Lists of words

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 22:10:40 UTC 2006

It would appear that lists of words violate the provision that Wikipedia
should not have articles which define individual words, nor should it
include Lists of such definitions. However, we have
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_words ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_slang and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_phrases , among others.
Policy is descriptive, not prescriptive. Is this policy still being applied
(in which case, *all* of these articles must be deleted), or not (in which
case the wording of the policy needs to be changed). I have raised the issue
at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Lists_of_Words

I don't know if all of these articles need to be deleted, or whether policy
needs to be modified to reflect reality.  But I think this needs to be
determined in general, not determined piecemeal

Ian