[WikiEN-l] Things about admins

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Wed Jul 19 16:08:22 UTC 2006

One thing which might help to address the concerns raised by Timwi
would be a more consistent approach to block notices.

I raised a proposal here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28proposals%29#Block_templates

Essentially, I think that all block templates should have a pointer to
a Help page "help I've been blocked" which details how to use
{{unblock}}, how to email the unblock list, how to find the email link
for the blocking admin, and also some explanatory text about the fact
that blocks may be more or less automatic (3RR), and that it is the
edits, not the editor, which are the problem.  Also, I think the
username of the blocking admin should be included automagically via
the block templates (maybe with the link to email right there?), and a
{{{duration}}} argument for almost all of them, since it's often
unclear how long the block is for.

I guess this comes under the heading of managing expectations.

Also I would remove the note to admins about unblocking themselves to
the unblock screen, since it's irrelevant to anyone else and probably
violates [[WP:BEANS]] anyway :-)

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk