[WikiEN-l] Human dignity

Sydney aka FloNight poore5 at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 14 23:25:57 UTC 2006

---- Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

> I am curious to know whether very many people agree with me that "human
> dignity" is a valid reason for a "delete" vote in a case like this.
>
> Here is another example, and I will probably regret mentioning it:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060714/ap_on_fe_st/911_love
>
> This woman (please do not name her in the email archives, eh?) had a
> policeman come to her home for a noise complaint.  She thought he was
> very attractive.  So, a few weeks later, she called 911 to inquire about
> him, to ask for his name.  She indicated in the phone call that she did
> not know how else to contact him, and gave her phone number and ask them
> to have the officer call her or drop by.
>
> Now, if she had stopped for a moment to think about why calling 911
> about this was a bad idea, I am sure she could have called the
> non-emergency phone number.  (For non-US readers: '911' is what you call
> everywhere in the US in case you have an emergency, and they will send
> the police, fire department, or ambulance as necessary.)
>
> Instead, she was arrested for abuse of the 911 system.  As far as I can
> tell from the story, she did not have malicious intent, it was not even
> a prank, it was just a mistaken call to the wrong number, and a "cute"
> story.
>
> The AP, in what I must say I personally find to be a lack of
> journalistic ethics, chose to publish her full name and distribute the
> story to millions of people worldwide.  Our understanding of the story
> is not enhanced by knowing her full name.  It is just a funny little
> story about someone being stupid.
>
> Fortunately, most AP stories vanish from the net pretty quickly.  This
> one will.  The Yahoo link will die in a few months.  But imagine if
> someone were to write a Wikipedia article using precisely the (daft, if
> you ask me) arguments that Anthony DiPierro has been using.  It is a
> confirmable story, we do know a number of fairly trivial facts about
> her, and... we might imagine... this *could* become an idiotic short
> lived meme among the immature segment of the under-17 crowd on the
> Internet, as did Brian Peppers.
>
> Should we therefore have an article?  Let's assume that we can verify
> the story easily enough.  (Maybe one newspaper keeps its archives online
> for free... maybe a dozen blogs pick up the story.)
>
> I would vote "delete, nn - human dignity".  A full explanation would be:
> For goodness sake, leave the poor woman alone.
>
> --Jimbo

This would be outside of encyclopedic content altogether as far as I am concerned.
Wikipedia is not covering the "police beat."

She may or may not want the article. Some people do want the attention.

If she did not want the information even *in* an article I would be inclined to remove it. This type of thing happens regularly. Why should is women be highlighted.

Wikipedia is NOT EVIL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOT_evil

Sydney