[WikiEN-l] OSINT press release

Jesse W jessw at netwood.net
Fri Jul 7 06:52:37 UTC 2006

Sigh.  And now for
"never-attribute-to-malice-what-can-be-explained-by-stupidity,-part
-2"...

On Jul 6, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Cobb wrote:
> Jesse W wrote:
>> And, for "vandalism", it still is.  For misguided people - it has
>> always been discussion until either the misguided people
>> change their minds or enough other people get fed up, then
>> more or less forceful requests to leave.
>
> There are no such things as page creation vandals?
Of course there are - creating a page is a type of editing, and, like
all types of edits, creating pages can be done in bad faith with intent
to damage the 'pedia - that is vandalism.  Typical examples include
creating pages that say "Joe is gay!", or creating pages containing
subtle hoaxes - you can't do that accidentally, or due to
misunderstanding, only by actively intending to damage the 'pedia.

However, many bad pages created are not created in bad faith - the
people who create them are not vandals.  People who think the
encyclopedia would benefit from an article on their novel theory of
history, or their new company, or this fascinating new website they
just came across - *are* *not* acting in bad faith, and *are* *not*
intending to damage the 'pedia (although, in fact, they are), and so
*are* *not* vandals.  You seemed to be implying they were.

>  How
> interesting. Do please expand on this fascinating new
> insight into what is currently happening on WIkipedia?
I just did.  Hopefully you will be able to respond to it with some
actual attention this time.

Jesse Weinstein