[WikiEN-l] Cooperation between Wikipedia and Wikibooks

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 13:02:23 UTC 2006

[cross-posted to gmane.org.wikimedia.textbook,
gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.english which I hope are the correct
groups]

Special:Booksources on en:wikipedia has an Errata option, which takes you to
a special section on en:wikibooks where---obviously enough---errata
corresponding to various ISBNs are collected.

I am not aware of the history of this cooperative venture, but I am somewhat
disturbed by the fact that a group of people at Wikibooks are trying to have
this feature removed without apparently letting anybody at Wikipedia know.
This seems to be ostensibly on the grounds that whilst it is to do with
books, it's not to do with **wiki**books.

The bit that disturbs me is the impression I get from the discussion that
cooperation with Wikipedia is somehow distasteful to some Wikibookians, and
that they shouldn't have to help out just because we share a four-letter
prefix.

Where should this be discussed, and what is the official status of the
"Errata on Wikibooks" feature?
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]