[WikiEN-l] Newest admin abuse on Wikipedia: Voter intimidation

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Tue Feb 28 08:01:38 UTC 2006

G'day Phil,

> On Feb 23, 2006, at 6:46 PM, Mark Gallagher wrote:
>> The other day you were speechless with rage; now you're unable to
>> enunciate your true level of disgust.  I think us rogue admins  ought to
>> take up a collection to buy you a thesaurus and dictionary; it may  help
>> you on such difficult issues as how to express yourself in print.
>
> This has to be the single most civil and productive message I have  ever
> read on any listserv. Mark, I must applaud you for being the  bigger man
> and addressing these concerns calmly instead of lashing  out at the person.

You're right: I *was* out of line.  The mailing list (and IRC) tend to
be a bit less civil than Wikipedia, but even so, they ought to be more
civil than cheap shots like the one I've left quoted above.  Someone
whose opinion I value highly told me I must "still be in USENET mode",
or words to that effect, and s/he's probably right ... USENET is often a
battleground, but Wikipedia ought never to be, even on this list.

So, Crotalus: I am sorry.  It was a cheap shot, uncalled for, incivil,
and unfair.  I *would* like you to stop the "speechless" bizzo, but I
could've put it a lot better.

Now, lest anyone think I really *am* being the better man, I thought I'd
clarify a few things.  First up, I *did* answer Crotalus' points, with
rather rougher language than ought to have been used with ladies
present, but they *were* answered.  Secondly, Crotalus' post amounts to
an accusation that Kelly Martin, for whom I have a lot of respect (even
if she *does* need a holiday), was essentially attempting to rig an RfA
by blocking Grue.

So, and I'm sorry if this loses all the cred I'd built up in the first
two paragraphs, I should not have said what I did, and I owe Crotalus an
apology for that ... but I am not ashamed one whit of telling him that
he was being a silly sausage, and by gum, I'd do it again.  The post
that started this thread was outrageous.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"