[WikiEN-l] The new verifiability policy

slimvirgin at gmail.com slimvirgin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 06:20:52 UTC 2006

On 2/27/06, Matt Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/27/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What I'm interested in is the behavior that the new policy permits and
> > encourages--namely, aggressive deletion of other people's
> > contributions, which can be backed up by The Official Policy.
>
> Agreed.  This is policy wording driven through on the basis of
> controversial, edit-warred articles.

Actually, it was The Cunctator who was trying to introduce a major
change to [[WP:V]]. The page says: "The obligation to provide a
reputable source lies with the editors wishing to include the
material, not on those seeking to remove it."

He tried to change it to:

""If an editor adds something controversial, the obligation to provide
a reputable source lies with the editors wishing to include the
material . . ."

That would be a major policy change.

WP:V is supported by WP:NOR, a longstanding, established policy. The
only way to show you're not doing OR is to produce a reliable source.
If you can't produce one, your edit may be removed, because OR is
never allowed.

If we ever get into a situation where lots of editors are using NOR
and V as an excuse to run around removing unsourced edits, where the
material has been published elsewhere and isn't controversial, but
those wanting to retain it are mysteriously unable to cite a source,
then we can revisit the issue. But currently, that isn't happening
(and how could it?) so it looks as though you're trying to create a
problem where none exists.

Sarah