[WikiEN-l] The new verifiability policy

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 05:23:45 UTC 2006

On 2/27/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/27/06, Daniel P. B. Smith <wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com> wrote:
> > > That's an extreme interpretation of that rule. We should shy aware
> > > from removing information simply because it is unsourced. We should
> > > only remove it if it is unsourced *and* we find it suspect.
>

> > In short, you do not agree with the verifiability policy, http://
> > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:V
>
> You may see comments from me on the talk page there. I actually think
> people reworded it more strongly than they meant to. Verifiability was
> never, IMHO, intended to mean "delete everything that isn't sourced",
> or else 95% of the encyclopaedia would be wiped tonight. It should be
> a way of resolving disputes about accuracy, and improving the quality
> of our material.
>
> If the verifiability policy currently says (I can't check it right
> now) that all unsourced material should be removed - end of story -
> then yes, I disagree with it.

That is very nearly exactly what it says:

2. Editors adding new material to an article should cite a reputable
source, or it may be removed by any editor.
3. The obligation to provide a reputable source lies with the editors
wishing to include the material, not on those seeking to remove it.

(It doesn't say "should" yet.)

I added "3. If an editor adds something controversial, the obligation
to provide a reputable source lies with the editors wishing to include
the material, not on those seeking to remove it."

I can't stand "reputable" either, but that's another discussion.

What I'm interested in is the behavior that the new policy permits and
encourages--namely, aggressive deletion of other people's
contributions, which can be backed up by The Official Policy.