[WikiEN-l] Trivia and popular culture sections

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Thu Feb 23 13:22:08 UTC 2006

Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:

>>Subject: [WikiEN-l] "Trivia" sections in articles
>>To: wikien-l at Wikipedia.org
>>
>>They look ugly and unprofessional. Can we get a policy or something to
>>suggest that they be renamed "Miscellaneous information" or merged
>>into
>>the rest of the article?
>>
>>And while we're at it, can we get rid of "{{PAGENAME}} in popular
>>culture" sections?
>>

>Much if not all of much of this content is unreferenced. People
>apparently just toss in stuff off the top of their head. Like lists,
>I think they become a game in which people try to think of something,
>anything that isn't there already.
>
>We should be proactive about putting {{unverifiedsect}} tags on these
>sections, {{fact}} tags on the unreferenced items, and removing them
>after a reasonable period of time and in a fair way. That will go a
>long way to solving the problem.
>
>I personally believe these items are valuable and interesting _if
>referenced._ Incidentally insisting on reference is also a reasonable
>filter against subtrivial cruft; if the Statue of Liberty appears _in
>an important way_ in some movie, Ebert or someone is likely to have
>mentioned it somewhere; if it is just a cameo appearance to establish
>that a ship is approaching New York, nobody is likely to comment on
>it outside of a personal blog or forum, and finding a reference will
>be hard.

IMO, anything in a trivia section (not necessarily "X in popular
culture", which is distinct from plain trivia) that is encyclopedic can
be easily merged into the rest of the article. Anything else is
unencyclopedic and should be chucked. For instance, when [[Hey Jude]]
had a trivia section, most of it was devoted to things like "[[Jude
Law]] was named after the song". Only one item was encyclopedic -- a
mention of [[Wilson Pickett]]'s cover version, which was easily merged
with the rest of the article. The rest was just chucked. Likewise, is
[[The Beatles]] any less comprehensive after I pruned it of cruft like
"Paul bought his house for X pounds"?

John