[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's destiny - Harry Reid

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Thu Feb 23 09:51:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:58:08 -0500, you wrote:

>The way to get around NOR problems in this case might be to suggest
>that we recommend that they create a webpage on their own webspace
>that says "I have been characterized in X source [wherever Wikipedia
>is getting the info] as having done Y. This is untrue, in reality I
>only did Z."

Honestly, I don't see that as necessary.  If someone wants to come to
the talk page and deny it, we can say they deny it.  If they can cite
reliable sources to support the denial, we can say the denial is
supported by reliable sources.  If they can prove it's all a figment
of someone's imagination, or a vendetta conducted by a rival or
whatever, we can just remove it.  I don't have a problem interacting
directly with biography subjects, as long as they are prepared to
accept that their Wikipedia portrait will, in the end, be of the
Oliver Cromwell school: warts and all.
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk