[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's destiny

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:26:22 UTC 2006

"Travis Mason-Bushman" <travis at gpsports-eng.com>
wrote in message news:C0217631.AA21%travis at gpsports-eng.com...
[snip]
> Basically, all that we can can verifiably write about Mr. Peppers is that
> he
> exists, that he was convicted of committing some unknown minor sex offense
> and that his photo was mocked by Internet dimwits. That doesn't add up to
> Wikipedia material in my book.

But don't you see that what you have written there is the essence of what
the article **should** say? It should be expanded a bit, but you've
summarised it nicely.

If Wikipedia is to become the best repository of organised knowledge on the
Internet, then if we **don't** mention something for which people are likely
to search, we're going to look stupid.

If, on the other hand, we can authoritatively say "this guy was the victim
of a prank meme, no more to see here", then people can be satisfied that
they understand what is happening.

HTH HAND
--
Phil