[WikiEN-l] Arbcom has completely lost its mind

Conrad Dunkerson conrad.dunkerson at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 11 18:15:26 UTC 2006

charles matthews wrote:

> Apologies in return.  I made it abundantly clear during the ArbCom elections
> that I didn't think precedent is a good basis for Arbitrators having their
> hands tied.  Therefore I also don't think much of your extrapolations.
> Asking that each case be treated on its merits is a much better bet.

While there must always be room for flexibility and re-assessment there
are also reasons that every established legal system on the planet
relies heavily on precedence. No, I am not suggesting that ArbCom should
follow a legalistic design (any moreso than it does already), but the
logic behind the principle of precedence applies in any case.

A few months back there was an intense discussion about pedophiles on
Wikipedia... which allowed them to stay openly. That was a precedent.
The various user pages where editors have identified themselves as
pedophiles yet not had these statements removed or their accounts
blocked over long periods of time were precedents.

We CAN change the situation (and apparently now HAVE done so), but the
precedents should not be ignored. The 'bad actors' in this were largely
following what were, in truth, the established norms... but were then
judged against standards which simply did not exist at the time they
made their decisions. That is capricious and inherently destructive.

As for 'extrapolations':

"While not explicitly stated on Wikipedia:User page, it is implicit
there that users should refrain from creating user pages likely to bring
the project into disrepute. The pedophile userbox (and the like) falls
into this category. Note that this should not be construed to bar
reasonable criticism of the project."

That's from the final decision. The pedophile userbox, as I recall,
contained the text 'This user is a pedophile'. Thus, the only
'extrapolation' here is that the statements I listed were "like" that
one. I can't imagine that anyone would claim they are not. So... why are
exceedingly similar statements being treated in completely different
ways? Again, it seems capricious... did we establish standards solely
for the purpose of shaping the outcome of this single case?

No, ArbCom should not have their 'hands tied' by precedent. However,
acknowledgement of it's EXISTENCE would probably help them to arbitrate
without being arbitrary.