[WikiEN-l] blocked username

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 22:41:26 UTC 2006

Hi,
 We don't need to work everything out from first principles. That's
what we have policies for. From [[Wikipedia:username]]:

Remember that a controversial name may colour other users' perspective
on your own credibility or political viewpoint. In addition remember
that Wikipedia is a world-wide source book and so take care in
selecting a name to avoid anything that might potentially cause
offence to someone from a different culture, religious or ethnic
group.

Wikipedia recommends that users avoid

   1. names of politicians, military or religious figures or events;
   2. any other names that may be seen as potentially offensive, or
endorsing or opposing the politics, policies or beliefs of a public
figure.

People should be able to judge you purely on your contributions, not
an emotional response to a potentially controversial nickname.
Avoiding such names is in your own interest. So do please be careful.
Remember you are working as part of a community. Show everyone else
the respect for their beliefs that you expect them to show yours.

No inflammatory usernames Wikipedia does not allow potentially
inflammatory or offensive user names. Inflammatory usernames are
needlessly discouraging to other contributors, and disrupt and
distract from our task of creating an encyclopedia.

On the other hand:

If enough people complain about your user name (through talk pages or
the mailing lists or Meta-Wikipedia), the bureaucrats will change it.
Neither complaints nor name changes should be arbitrary, but user
names that are offensive to a significant number of people will be
changed, not without notice, but without appeal.

Co-operative contributors should normally just be made aware of our
policy via a post on their talk page. Voluntary changes (via
Wikipedia:Changing username) are preferred: users from other countries
and/or age groups may make mistakes about choosing names -- immediate
blocking or listing on RfC could scare off new users acting in good
faith.

Where a change must be forced, we first discuss it. This can take
place on either (A) the user's talk page, (B) a subpage of the user's
talk page, or (C) a sub page of Wikipedia:Requests for comment. It
should be listed on Wikipedia:Requests for comment in the appropriate
section. The user should also be made aware of the discussion.

Steve